This lesson will show you how to set up your activity types in Helm CONNECT.
To create and use activity types, you need to have Helm CONNECT Jobs or Helm CONNECT Maintenance plus the Event Logs module.
Activity types are used differently within each product line.
Activity types are categories for organizing the activities your assets perform. Unlike events, which occur in a single moment of time, activities have a start time and an end time and can change the workflow of an asset. Activities can also be used to schedule inspection or maintenance templates so that checklists based on these templates are either included or excluded from your crew's To Do lists during specific types of activities. Activities always appear in the default work space in Onboard > Logs.
Creating activity types
Go to the Setup > Events > Activity Types tab to create and manage your activity types.
There are two steps to the process:
- Create and save your activity type.
- (Optional) Configure fields for your activity type.
NoteIf you don't have any activity types defined at all, then the Activity option won't be available under the Log a new event button on Onboard > Logs.
- Accounting Code: (Jobs only) Add an accounting code to an activity type if you want it to be part of your revenue allocations.
- Tags: (Optional) You can select existing tags or add new tags here. Tags are useful for filtering in History tabs and in reports.
The Type list provides the following options:
- None: If you don't use Helm CONNECT Jobs, select this option. If you do use Helm CONNECT Jobs, use this option when the activity type is not a primary, running to, or running from activity.
- Primary: (Jobs only) You can specify whether or not an activity type is a primary or secondary activity by selecting or clearing the Primary check box. You can use primary activities when creating your billing rules by indicating that certain rules only apply to primary activities. You can also use them when setting up a trip type by setting a primary activity to be the default activity type for that trip type. Depending on the industry, examples of secondary activities could be idle or dry dock.
- Running To: (Jobs only) Only one activity type can be configured as Running To; this activity can be used in trip planning and billing to capture and calculate 'running to' time.
- Running From: (Jobs only) Only one activity type can be configured as Running From; this activity can be used in trip planning and billing to capture and calculate 'running from' time.
In the list on the Activity Types tab, click the item you want to configure, then click the Configure button.
NoteIf you don't configure the fields for a particular division, it will inherit the configuration from its parent division. You will need to change something in the configuration to enable the Save Changes button.
When configuring fields, you can do the following:
- Add a field by dragging it from the list on the left to the panel on the right.
- Specify whether or not a field is required by selecting or clearing the Required check box.
- Remove a field by clicking the red X icon.
- Add the custom field by clicking + Custom Field and completing the necessary details.
NoteDepending on your permission settings, or the features your company subscribes to, you may not have access to custom fields. Custom fields are managed on the Setup > Operations > Custom Fields tab.
Watch the video
Watch this video to see how to set up your activity types in Helm CONNECT: