In August 2017, we found an issue with the new Creators Update to Windows 10 that affects local asset installations of Helm CONNECT.
This update changes the location of critical system files (SQL Local DB) and will block Helm CONNECT from starting, if you are using a local asset installation. We believe this issue is limited only to the Creators Update to Windows 10. This issue does not apply to users of Windows 7 or 8.
How to fix this issue
We made a tool to solve the problem caused by the Creators Update. This fix takes less than five minutes for each local asset installation. It’s deployed by command line so it requires access by a system administrator.
CHECK FOR ERRORS
If the Creators Update is affecting your local asset installation, Helm CONNECT will not start. You will see an error message in your latest Helm CONNECT log file. The error message will look like this:
|[ERROR] Helm.Init: Init service failed. Please see exception for details. EXCEPTION OCCURRED :System.Data.SqlLocalDb.SqlLocalDbException (0x89C50107): The specified LocalDB instance does not exist.|
APPLY THE TOOL
The tool is packaged in the HELM CONNECT 1.5 release.
- If you are using a previous version of Helm CONNECT (1.4 or earlier), please contact our Support team to get the tool.
- The tool is available in all later versions of Helm CONNECT (1.5 and later).
To apply the tool, follow these steps:
- On the local asset installation, navigate to the Repair folder.
The path will be C:\Program Files (x86)\Helm CONNECT\versions\w.x.y.z\tools\Repair (replace w.x.y.z with the version of Helm CONNECT on the local asset installation, for example, 22.214.171.124).
- Hold down the Shift button and right-click on the Repair folder, then select Open PowerShell window here.
- Type .\HelmRepair.exe AttachDatabase then press Enter to run the command.
RESTART THE SERVICE
To restart the Helm CONNECT service, follow these steps:
- From the Windows Start menu, search for services.msc.
- Click Services.
- In the displayed list of services, right-click on HelmCONNECT_node then select Start.
- Wait about 60 seconds, then try to open Helm CONNECT again.
- If you have already installed the Creators Update and cannot use Helm CONNECT on your local asset installations, please contact our Support team immediately:
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By phone: 1-866-344-3362
Our Support team will show you how to restore access to Helm CONNECT on your local asset installation. You will need to use the tool on any installation that has received the Creators Update to Windows 10.
- If you are planning to install the latest Creators Update to Windows 10 in the future, please schedule a call with our Support team to discuss the process.