Earning codes distinguish between the different types of work completed by your crews, which may or may not lead to different pay rates. For example, commonly used earning codes would be Pay, Overtime, Vacation, Holiday, and Sick Leave are all commonly used earning codes.
To create an earning code
- Go to the Setup > Payroll > Earning Codes tab.
- Click New Earning Code.
- In the Name field, enter a name for the earning code.
- (Optional) In the Accounting Code field, enter an accounting code. This will enable you to export your payroll data or integrate it with an external accounting system so be sure it aligns with your other systems.
- From the Quantity list, select Amount to track this earning code based on work period amount, which is the standard configuration.
Note The Quantity list also provides options for tracking the earning code based on: Daily, Flat, or Hourly. Your account manager or implementation specialist can help you decide if one of these options would better suit your needs.
- In the Display In field, select the areas of Helm CONNECT where you want to display this earning code: Crew Changes, Days Off, Schedule, and/or Timesheets.
Note You should select Schedule for all earning codes to ensure that shore users have access to them. You can decide whether or not to select Days Off, Schedule, or Timesheets on a case-by-case basis. If you select Timesheets, the earning codes will become options on the Onboard > Personnel > Timesheets tab. If you select Days Off, they'll become options in the Days Off section on the Personnel > Employee Portal > My Info tab as well as on the Management > People > People > Schedule sub tab.
- Click Save Changes.