This release contains the following new features.
We provided a new step-by-step wizard to guide you through the process of setting up your system in Helm CONNECT, including your vessels, people, and locations. We also provided some default inspections and maintenance templates to help you get started with your inspections and maintenance routines.
This release contains the following improvements.
- We added help tips to explain why tabs may be empty, and what you can do to start adding data.
- We replaced the existing Return icon. The new icon is easier to distinguish from the Refresh icon, and is located on the left of the screen instead of on the right.
- We redesigned the vessel installation process, making it much simpler and more intuitive.
- On the History tabs:
- On the Crew Tracking tab, we resolved an issue where you couldn't send a template to your vessels if you had previously deleted one of the qualifications.
- On the People tab, we resolved an issue where you couldn't delete a person you had just added to the system.
- Print previews and printed output now contain the same content you see in Helm CONNECT.
- Exports to Microsoft Excel now contain the same content you see in Helm CONNECT.
Vessel (formerly Engine Log)
- We redesigned and expanded the Engine Log app:
- We renamed the Engine Log app to 'Vessel.'
- We replaced the Tasks tab with three new tabs that represent the working spaces for different positions on the vessel: the Engine Log tab is for the engineer, the Mate's Desk tab is for the mate, and the Wheelhouse tab is for the captain.
- The History tab records the completed tasks for all three spaces.
- On the Engine Log tab:
- In the To Do list, you now record running hours in a checklist. A running hours checklist is created automatically based on the current systems and components for each vessel. If you modify a vessel's components, the running hours checklist for that vessel will update automatically to reflect the changes. If you want, you can identify systems or components that you don't want to include in the checklist.
- In the To Do list, you can now record the readings for vessel components as checklists in the Engine Log To Do list. You can build readings checklists in the Templates app in Setup.
- On the Engine Log, Mate's Desk, and Wheelhouse tabs:
- In the Notes dialog, we renamed the Post button to 'Save.'
- You can now print a checklist.
- The title of the tasks dialog now changes to reflect whether you are logging a new task, viewing an existing task, or updating an existing task.
If you log a new task and set the status to 'Unfinished,' the task will move to both the To Do list for the space where it was created as well as to the Plan tab in the Action Items app.
In the To do list, tasks assigned to the next dry dock are now labelled 'Next Dry Dock' and are displayed in a separate group called 'Dry Dock.'
In the To do list, you can now collapse the list of tasks in any of the groups to save space on your screen.
- We removed the Readings tab. You now record the readings for your vessels in readings checklists in the Engine Log To Do list. You can review completed readings checklists in the Engine Log Task Log and on the History tab.
- On the History tab:
- For consistency with other labels in the app, we renamed the Source column in the print preview to 'Vessel.'
- You can now print from the detail view.
- On the Crew and Tracking tabs, we added a Note section to the Update Qualification dialog.
- On the History tab, for consistency with other labels in the app, we renamed the Item Search filter to 'Type' and changed the placeholder text to 'Filter by type.'
- On the Plan tab:
- In the list view, we removed the filter buttons and replaced them with Item and Vessel filters.
- In the list view, you can now print or export to Excel.
- In the detail view for repair items, we renamed the Assigned To list to 'Shown in.' We also removed the Shore option from the drop-down list, and replaced the single Vessel option with three new options for the spaces in the Vessel app: Engine Log, Mate's Desk, and Wheelhouse.
- On the What, Where, Who, When sub tabs, we removed the Lock/Unlock Tab buttons.
- On the When sub tab, we removed the Next Crew Change option. We also removed the calendar and replaced the Arrival and Departure fields with a single 'Due Date' field.
- On the Who sub tab, we removed the ability to assign a department and we no longer display departments that don't contain any people.
- Unfinished tasks logged in the Vessel app now display on the Plan tab in the Action Items app instead of on the Tasks tab. In the detailed view, they now include the reason they were postponed by the vessel as well as the name of the vessel space (i.e., Engine Log, Mate's Desk, or Wheelhouse) that created them.
- Unfinished tasks created from failed items in checklists that were completed in the Vessel app now display on the Plan tab in the Action Items app instead of on the Tasks tab.
- On the Tasks tab:
- In the list view, we added Item, Vessel, and Severity filters.We also added a People column to display who the task has been assigned to.
- In the list view, we added a Due column to display when an item is due. The date for overdue items is red.
- In the detailed view, we renamed the Verify button to 'Finish Now.'
- On the History tab:
- The advanced filters are now always displayed at the top of the tab; you no longer have to click the Advanced Filter button to display them.
- The advanced filters now include options to filter by component as well as by a date range for when items were submitted.
- In the list view, we removed the Resolution and Elapsed columns and added Component, Submitted, and Due columns. We also renamed the Who column to 'People' and the Assigned To column to 'Shown in.'
- In the detail view, we removed the Verified field. We also renamed the Assigned To field to 'Shown in.'
Vessel, Inspections, and Maintenance
- In checklists, we renamed the Submit button to 'Finish Now'and the Return icon to 'Finish Later.'
Inspections and Maintenance
- On the History tabs, in the detailed views for deficiencies, we replaced the Notes section with a new one called 'Action Items.' You can use the Action Items section to quickly see whether or not a deficiency has been verified.
- On the Inspections tab:
- You can now select a biannual (six month) frequency for your checklists.
- The existing Yes/No checklist item type now also includes 'NA.'
- Each inspections template must now be associated with one of the new spaces in the Vessel app: Engine Log, Mate's Desk, or Wheelhouse. Once the template is published, any inspections checklists based on that template will only display in the selected space in the Vessel app. However, all inspections checklists will display in the Inspections app, regardless of the selected space.
- On the Maintenance tab, we redesigned how you build your maintenance templates:
- When building a new maintenance template, you can now select only one vessel instead of multiple vessels. In the list view, we removed the column that displayed the number of vessels associated with each template, and added a Vessel column to show which vessel is associated with each template.
- Each maintenance template must now be associated with one of the new spaces in the Vessel app: Engine Log, Mate's Desk, or Wheelhouse. Once the template is published, any maintenance checklists based on that template will only display in the selected space in the Vessel app. However, all maintenance checklists will display in the Maintenance app, regardless of the selected space.
- The existing Replace/OK checklist item type now includes a Component drop-down list.
- On the Inspections and Maintenance tabs, we added a new checklist item type called 'Crew Selection.'
- We added a new Readings tab where you can now build readings templates. Readings checklists based on your published readings templates will automatically display in the To Do list for the Engine Log space in the Vessel app. Readings checklists don't display in Mate's Desk or Wheelhouse.
We redesigned how you build your vessels.
- On the Vessels tab:
- Building or editing a vessel is now very similar to building or editing a template. In the edit view, you simply select a system type from the list and drag it onto your vessel. Each system type comes with a default set of component types that you can easily modify to match the components on your vessel.
- In the list view, we added a search box to make it easier for you to find a specific vessel in the list.
- You can now duplicate a vessel.
- We removed the Component Type tab because you no longer need to add your own component types. Instead, we now provide a default set of standard systems and component types that you can use for your vessels.
- We removed the Reading Groups tab because we no longer use the concept of reading groups.
- We removed the Reading Types tab because you no longer need to add your own reading types. Instead, we now provide a default set of standard reading types that you can use for your readings checklists.
- On the People tab:
- In the list view, we added a search box to make it easier for you to find a specific person in the list.
- In the list view, we added a Division column so you can quickly see which division each person belongs to. We also added a division filter.
The following issues were resolved in this release.
- We resolved an issue in the Activity overlay where the time stamp didn't update correctly until you refreshed the screen.
- We resolved an issue where you would see an error if you had Helm CONNECT open on more than one tab, and did any action that caused a notification.
Vessel (formerly Engine Log)
- On the Tasks tab:
- We resolved an issue where you could create a new task that was not linked to a vessel, if you created the task before the complete list of vessels was loaded.
- We resolved an issue where, if you changed the system related to a task and exited the Update Task dialog without saving, the change was still saved.
- We resolved an issue where completed checklists would not appear in the Task Log if you selected an inspection date that was more than two days before today's date.
- On the History tab, we resolved an issue where searching for the word 'inspection' would return all the inspections in the list, instead of just the items with the word 'inspection' in their name.
- On the History tab, we resolved an issue where sorting a list in a print preview also sorted the list on the History tab.
- On the Plan tab, we resolved an issue where search results were also including items that contained blank entries.
- On the History tab, we resolved an issue where deleted action items weren't included in the list of items.