This lesson will show you how to download the universal installer and set up an installation in Setup > Fleet > Fleet Installations, then install Helm CONNECT on an asset computer.
Create an asset role
When you set up an installation for one of your assets, you must assign the asset a role to control which features users can access.
Decide between shared or multi-user sign on
There are two different ways for your crew to sign on to an installation of Helm CONNECT:
- Shared sign on You can assign a password to the asset and require all crew members to sign on with the asset password. With this option, all users will share the role that was assigned to the asset.
- Multi-user sign on You can allow each crew member to sign on with his or her own email and password. With this option, each user could have a different levels of access, depending on his or her role.
Important Note Users logged in to an installation of Helm CONNECT with their own email and password will only have access to those features that are included in both their assigned role and the asset's assigned role.
Download the installer
You can download our installer in Setup > Fleet, then run it on a computer to install Helm CONNECT. Our installer is universal, which means you can download it once then use it for all your installations.
To download the installer, follow these steps:
- From the Setup menu, select Fleet.
- Click Download Installer.
- In the Download Installer window, do one of the following:
- Copy the plain text download link, then paste it into your web browser or send it to another user. Click Close.
- Click Download Installer, then save the installer to a USB drive or similar device.
Set up an installation from Fleet
To set up an installation of Helm CONNECT, you can use Setup > Fleet > Fleet Installations to enter all the information about the installation and create an installation key. Anyone can then run a copy of the installer and enter the key when prompted, without having to enter any configuration details and without needing permission to Fleet. The installer will validate the key and retrieve the configuration details from shore.
To set up an installation, follow these steps:
- From the Setup menu, select Fleet.
- Click New.
- Under Node Configuration, enter the configuration details:
- From the Asset list, select the asset the installation is for.
- In the Description field, enter a description of the installation. For example, "Helm Valiant - Wheelhouse."
- In the Asset Login Password and the Repeat Password fields, enter the asset's password.
- Set up the asset for either multi-user or shared sign on:
- To use multi-user sign on for this installation, select the Multi User Sign On check box.
- To use shared sign on for this installation, leave the Multi User Sign On check box clear.
- Select or clear the Display Description on Installation check box to show or hide the description on the asset installation
- Selecting the check box will display the description of the asset in the user name/asset name display area in the top right corner of the browser window.
- The display will vary depending on whether your asset uses multi-user or shared sign on.
- Under Fleet Roles, select a role for the asset.
Note Remember, the asset role will affect which features the logged in users will have access to.
- Click Save Changes.
- Once you save your changes, you'll see a new key at the top of the screen. Copy the key somewhere safe. The person who installs Helm CONNECT will need it during the installation process.
- Repeat the steps above to configure an installation and a corresponding key for each asset computer that needs to install Helm CONNECT.
Install Helm CONNECT
Before installing Helm CONNECT, make sure you have a copy of the installer and the correct key. The installer is universal and can be used for all your installations, but each key is unique and can only be used once. It's also important to know that you can run the installer without an internet connection, but you'll need a connection to validate the key and download the asset's data.
To install Helm CONNECT, follow these steps:
- Run the installer.
Note If you're not already running your computer as an administrator, you may be prompted to go to administrator permissions during the installation.
- When prompted, enter the installation key and click Apply Key.
- Once the installation is complete, click Open Helm CONNECT.
- Do one of the following:
- If the installation is using shared sign on, then enter the asset password and click Login.
- If the installation is using multi-user sign on, then enter your email and password and click Login.
Watch the video
Watch the video below to see how to set up an installation and install Helm CONNECT:
Uninstall Helm CONNECT
To uninstall Helm CONNECT from a computer, follow these steps:
- From the Windows Start menu (Windows 7 or Windows 10) or the Windows Start screen (Windows 8), search for "Add or remove programs."
- From the list of programs, right-click Helm CONNECT and select Uninstall.
- Follow the steps in the uninstall wizard.