Click the links below to learn all about this release:
- The Platform
- Helm CONNECT Maintenance and Helm CONNECT Compliance
- Helm CONNECT Jobs
- Helm CONNECT Personnel
- Reports and custom fields
- Helm CONNECT API
Our "platform" is our base product and includes the features and functionality shared by all our customers. Changes to our platform affect everyone, regardless of the product lines or modules you subscribe to. We made the following platform changes in this release.
Deprecating IE 11 in Version 1.21
In Version 1.21 (slated for release in December 2020 or January 2021), we'll stop supporting Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) and begin supporting Microsoft Edge. If you're currently using IE 11, we recommend that you start transitioning to one of our supported browsers (latest released versions of Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge) to avoid any disruption to your use of Helm CONNECT. For more about these changes, check out this article.
Control who can log in to Helm CONNECT on shore
You can now control which users can log in to the shore version of Helm CONNECT. On the Setup > Users > Users tab, if you select the Can Log In check box on someone's user profile, you'll see a new Can Log In To Shore check box in the Log In Details section.
A few things to keep in mind:
- The Can Log In To Shore check box will be visible only if you select the Can Log In check box first.
- If you select Can Log In, the Can Log In To Shore check box will be selected automatically. To change this setting, you must clear the Can Log In To Shore check box.
- Any users with Can Log In on their profile must also have at least one of the Can Log In To Asset or Can Log In To Shore check boxes selected. They can also have both check boxes selected.
- To ensure that users don't experience a change to their permissions when upgrading from Version 1.18 to Version 1.19, Can Log In To Shore will be selected automatically for all users who currently have Can Log In on their profiles. To change this setting, you must clear the Can Log In To Shore check box on their profile.
- If a user without Can Log In To Shore on their profile attempts to log in to the shore version of Helm CONNECT, they'll see a message explaining that they don't have permission to log in on shore, and suggesting that they contact their system administrator.
Create and restore an asset backup
You now have the option to back up an asset installation and restore that backup file if you need to reinstall Helm CONNECT on an asset. For more these new features, check out this article.
New change log for users
On the Setup > Users > Users tab, in the detail or edit view, we added a Change Log tab on the right side of the screen that allows you to view changes made on this tab. The tracked changes include modifications to the person's profile, such as their name, division, and email address, as well as changes to their user settings, such as login details, assigned roles, and API keys.
Helm CONNECT Maintenance and Helm CONNECT Compliance
We made the following changes to Helm CONNECT Maintenance and Helm CONNECT Compliance in this release.
Configuration options for cumulative readings
To give you greater control over the way crew enter readings into maintenance checklists, and to encourage more accurate data entry, we made the following changes to the Cumulative Readings item in maintenance templates:
- Restrict the Add or Total entry fields: You can now control which fields can be used for entering cumulative readings: the Add field or the Total field. You can also choose not to have any restrictions, which means users can enter values in either field, as they did in previous versions of Helm CONNECT.
- Set daily ranges: You now have the option to set minimum and maximum daily values for each cumulative reading type. If someone tries to enter a value outside this range, it must be confirmed by a user who has the new "Can record cumulative readings outside range limit" permission.
For more about these new options, check out this article.
New permission for confirming cumulative reading values
On the Setup > Users > Roles tab, we added a new permission to control who can confirm cumulative reading values that fall outside the range for that item.
Note When you update to Version 1.19, this permission will be turned on by default.
Outside Range Limits column for maintenance history
On the History tabs for Onboard > Logs and Maintenance > Overview, we added a new Outside Range Limits column to the detail view for completed maintenance checklists. For each reading, the column will display a Yes or No to indicate whether or not the recorded value was outside its range limits. If the reading doesn't have a specified range, the column will display a "-".
See how long your maintenance and compliance items are open
You can now see how long your checklists, tasks, corrective actions, and forms have been open. For all the details about this new feature, check out this article.
View asset certifications onboard
Previously, if you viewed the Onboard > Overview > Tracking tab on board your asset, you could see that there were certifications for your asset but couldn't open them to see the details. Now, you can open a read-only version of your asset certifications as well as view any notes or attachments on those certifications.
Improvements to the Omit feature for overdue items
Previously, if you finished or omitted a checklist or form and selected a period that wasn't the oldest, any previous uncompleted copies that existed were removed from the system, and you couldn't track or report on them. Now, when you omit or finish a checklist or form and select a period that's not the oldest, previous uncompleted copies will now be omitted instead of deleted and will be recorded individually in history.
Note You can only finish or omit a checklist or form if its schedule is based on the effective date.
We added a new "Omit previous checklists/forms" window, where you need to select a new confirmation check box before you can click Finish Now or Omit. This new window lists the periods for the items that will be omitted, up to a maximum of 100 at a time, and automatically displays default text in the "Reason for omissions" field, which you can edit. This text will appear in history for each item that's displayed in the "Omitted periods" list.
Document navigation tools remain visible
In previous versions, when you viewed a document in Helm CONNECT and scrolled down the page, the document navigation tools stayed at the top of the document window, and you'd have to scroll up to use them.
Now, the document navigation tools remain visible, so you can navigate easily through the document without having to scroll up to the top of the window again.
Maintenance checklists scheduled by cumulative readings due at correct interval
When you finish a maintenance checklist scheduled by cumulative readings, the system records two important dates:
- Finished Date: The date and time the system records that you clicked Finish Now in the checklist in Helm CONNECT
- Inspected Date: The date you select in the checklist header in Helm CONNECT
Previously, we used the component's cumulative reading values that existed in the system as of the Finished Date instead of the Inspected Date to calculate when the next checklist would be due. If the component's cumulative reading values changed between the Inspected Date and the Finished Date, then the due value for the next checklist would be inaccurate.
Now, to improve accuracy,we use the component's cumulative reading values in the system as of the Inspected Date to calculate when the following maintenance checklist will be due.
- This change won't affect the schedule of any existing maintenance checklists scheduled by cumulative readings until after you complete those checklists in Version 1.19. Then, the system will use the Inspected Date to calculate when the next checklist is due.
- Checklists scheduled by calendar date aren't affected.
Set all requisitions to require approval
Previously, if you wanted all requisitions to require approval, you still had to enter a dollar value of 1 in the Minimum Approval field on the Setup > Requisitions > Requisition Approval Configurations tab. Now, if you want all requisitions to require approval, you can enter 0 (zero) in the Minimum Approval field.
New Est Due Date Range filter in Advanced Search
We added a new Est Due Date Range filter to the Maintenance > Overview > Advanced Search tab and the Maintenance > Overview > Manage Searches tab. This filter lets you search for maintenance and compliance items based on the estimated due date. It also includes tasks and corrective actions in the search results where the due date falls within the date range you select in the filter.
Forms and form templates now have notification messages
For consistency with checklist messages,we now display notifications when you discard, omit, finish, approve, or decline a form. We also added notifications when you delete or publish a form template. You'll see these notifications in the lower right hand corner of your screen and in the Notifications panel.
Approval sections on shore only forms limited to shore areas and approval roles
Previously, when you built a shore-only form template with an approval section, you could select an asset work space from the approval area list or an asset role from the approval role list. This meant it was possible to create a form that could never be approved.
Now, to prevent that from happening, when you select the Shore Only check box in a form template, only Shore is available in the approval area list, and the approval role list is limited to shore or admin roles.
Placeholder text change in people selection fields
Previously, the placeholder text in fields where you could select a person was "Select a name." We changed the text to "Search for people" to match what the field is actually doing, since you can search for people in the system by typing a first name, last name, employee number, or position.
We made some system improvements so your information loads more quickly in the following locations:
- Onboard > Logs > History tab
- Onboard > Forms > History tab
- Maintenance > Overview > History tab
- Compliance > Forms > History tab
- Compliance > Corrective Actions > History tab
- Onboard > Forms > Library tab
- Compliance > Forms > Library tab
- Compliance > Forms > Submitted tab
We also improved loading time for search results on the Maintenance > Overview > Advanced Search tab.
Improvements to Person/Vendor filter
Over the past several versions, we've made improvements to people selection fields throughout Helm CONNECT.In Version 1.19, we've continued to apply this improvement to the Person/Vendor filter in the following locations:
- Maintenance > Overview > Advanced Search tab
- Maintenance > Overview > Manage Searches tab
- Onboard > Overview > To Do tab
- Compliance > Corrective Actions > Correction Actions tab
To improve performance, the People/Vendor filter now loads only the first 50 names in the system, sorted alphabetically by first name. If the name you need isn't there, or to find the name you want more quickly, you can search just by typing a first name, last name, employee number, position, or vendor name in the selection field.
Corrective actions linked to requisitions open correctly from Onboard > Requisitions
We addressed an issue where, if you tried to open a linked corrective action from a requisition on the Onboard > Requisitions tab, it might not open, even if you could open that corrective action from the Onboard > Logs > To Do list or the Onboard > Overview > To Do tab. Now, if you can open a corrective action from Onboard > Logs or Onboard > Overview, you'll be able to open that corrective action if it's linked to a requisition for your asset.
Awaiting Approval count on the Maintenance > Requisitions > Dashboard tab is consistent
We addressed an issue where the Awaiting Approval count on an asset card on the Maintenance > Requisitions > Dashboard tab sometimes didn't match the actual number of line items awaiting approval on the Maintenance > Requisitions > Requisitions tab. This could happen when some of the line items in a requisition had a status of Closed, Canceled, or Received on Asset, which were included in the count on the Dashboard tab. Now, the Awaiting Approval count on the asset cards on the Dashboard tab displays only the number of open line items awaiting approval.
Helm CONNECT Jobs
We made the following changes to Helm CONNECT Jobs in this release.
Blocked ship indicators and warnings on orders
On the Jobs > Dispatch > Trips tab, we added two visual cues to alert you if you add a blocked ship to an order:
- In the Ship field, you'll now see a red Blk. indicator beside the ship's name.
- In the lower right corner of the screen, you'll now see a yellow warning.
Time zone tooltips in order headers now display time zone offset
On the Jobs > Dispatch > Orders tab, if your browser and the area on the order aren't in the same time zone, we display a small clock icon to the right of the Area field in the header of the order. Hovering over the icon with your cursor displays a tooltip to explain that the two time zones are different. In this release, we enhanced the tooltip by including the difference in hours (also known as the offset) between the two time zones.
Note You can add time zones to your areas on the Setup > Locations > Locations tab. Adding time zones to your areas is optional.
New tooltips on date fields display area time
On the Jobs > Dispatch > Orders tab, if your browser and the area on the order aren't in the same time zone, you can now hover your cursor over any of the date/time fields on the order to display a tooltip showing the area date and time.
Changes to time zones on contracts and tariffs
We made the following changes to the way time zones affect dates in contracts and tariffs:
- Previously, effective, anniversary, and expiry dates on contracts and tariffs always used the time zone where they were set up. This could cause an issue if the area on an order was in a different time zone. Starting in this release, if the area has a time zone configured, these dates will use the area time zone. If, however, the work takes place in an area that doesn't have a time zone configured, they'll use the time zone where the contract or tariff was set up, as they did previously.
- Previously, time-based rules contract or tariff rules always used the time zone where they were set up, which could affect billing if the area on an order was in a different time zone. Starting in this release, if the area has a time zone configured, these rules will use the area time zone. If, however, the work takes place in an area that doesn't have a time zone configured, they'll use the time zone where the rules were configured, as they did previously.
Blocked ships in the Request Manager
We made three changes to the Request Manager related to blocked ships:
- On the Jobs > Dispatch > Trips tab, we made the following changes:
- In the Ship list, if you click Add New to request that a ship be added to Helm CONNECT, the New Ship window that displays now includes a Blocked check box.
- To the right of the Ship list, if you click the Show Ship Details icon then click Request Change, the Request Change window that displays now includes a Blocked check box so you can request that an existing ship be either blocked or unblocked.
- From the toolbar at the top right of you screen, if you click Request Manager, you'll now be able to see pending requests for existing ships to be either blocked or unblocked.
No longer able to submit transactions related to blocked ships
On the Jobs > Billing > Transactions tab, you can no longer submit transactions for orders with blocked ships on them. Although you'll still be able to calculate billing, the Submit button won't display for any transactions related to blocked ships.
Blocked column in the Ships list view
On the Setup > Ships > Ships tab, we added a Blocked column to the list view so you can quickly see if a specific ship has been blocked.
Enhancements for setting up bill to accounts on billing rules
We added more options for setting up bill to accounts on your billing rules. Previously, you could only select one bill to account for each rule, and you couldn't override that account when billing was calculated. Now, when you add or edit a billing rule, you have three bill to options:
- 3rd Party: Selecting this option will display a Bill To Account list where you can select a specific account to be billed. This is similar to the Bill To Account behavior in Version 1.18.
Note Selecting an account from the Bill To Account list is no longer required. If you select the 3rd Party option but don't select an account, you'll be required to select one on the transaction when billing is calculated.
- Agent: Selecting this option will use the agent on the order as the default bill to account.
- Customer: Selecting this option will first use the customer on the trip as the default bill to account. If there is no customer on the trip, it will use the customer on the order.
The other change we made was to allow you to change the bill to account on the draft of the transaction. Once billing is calculated, the account displayed in the Bill To field on the Overview tab will depend on the option you chose when you set up the rule, and you can change it, if necessary.
Note The Bill To field on the transaction is required. If you chose the 3rd Party option but didn't select an account on the rule, you'll have to select one from the Bill To field before you can approve the transaction.
Change the bill to account and billing address on a transaction
Previously, if a bill to account had an associated address, or if it had multiple addresses and one was set as the area default, then the account and address would display in the Bill To and Bill To Address fields on the transaction during billing. Although you could modify the displayed address, you couldn't select a different account or a different address. If the bill to account didn't have an associated address, or if it had multiple addresses but none had been set as the area default, then no account or address would display on the transaction during billing and you had no option to select any.
Now, you have more options for changing the billing to account and billing address on a transaction. We changed the Bill To field to a drop-down list from which you can select the bill to account you want to use. If the selected account has one associated address it will display in the Bill To Address field. If the account has multiple addresses, the area default will display in the Bill To Address field, otherwise, you'll be prompted to select one from the new Billing Address field. We also added a new Use Custom Address link that allows you to modify the displayed bill to address or to quickly enter a custom address for the transaction.
New change log for tariffs
On the Jobs > Tariffs > Tariffs tab, we added a Change Log tab on the right side of the screen that allows you to view changes made to your tariffs. The tracked changes include the details in the tariff header, such as the name, division, or area, as well as any rule numbers that were added, modified, or deleted.
Enhanced change log for contracts
We enhanced the change log for contracts on the Jobs > Contracts > Contracts tab. When you click the Change Log tab on the right side of the screen, you can now also see any rule numbers that were added, modified, or deleted. This is in addition to changes made to the details in the contract header, such as the name, area, or effective date.
New Unpost Transactions permission
On the Setup > Users > Roles tab, we added a new Unpost Transactions permission to control who has access to the Unpost Invoice button on the Jobs > Billing > Transactions tab. If you don't have the Unpost Transactions permission, then you won't see the Unpost Invoice button, but you'll still be able to view posted transactions on the Jobs > Billing > Transactions tab.
Any role that had the Read, Calculate, or Edit permission in Version 1.18 will have the new Unpost Transactions permission automatically in Version 1.19.
Note You can only post transactions through the Helm CONNECT API. For more information, please see our API documentation or reach out to your account manager.
Hide or show Location From and To fields on activities
You now have the option to hide or show the Location From and To fields for specific activities. On the Setup > Events > Activity Types tab, while you're configuring an activity type, you'll see a new field near the top of the tab that allows you to hide or show the Location From and To fields on that activity type.
Note This setting will apply anywhere you can add activity types, including the Jobs > Dispatch > Trips tab and Onboard > Logs.
Billing rule conditions now compare date/time fields correctly
We addressed an issue with billing rule conditions that compare two date/time fields. Previously, if one of the fields was a standard Helm CONNECT field and the other was a custom field, the calculation would not work correctly. The calculation now works correctly.
Edit orders after deleting a draft invoice
We addressed an issue on the Jobs > Billing > Overview tab where, if you deleted a draft invoice after calculating billing, you were sometimes unable to edit the order.
Deleted areas no longer display in the Area filter
We addressed an issue on the Jobs > Billing > Overview tab where deleted areas were displayed in the Area filter.
Archived companies now displayed correctly
We addressed an issue on the Setup > Sales > Companies tab where, if you cleared the Active check box on an account and saved your changes, the Active check box still appeared to be selected, even though the change log indicated that the company had been archived.
Warning if two of a company's accounts have the same account number
On the Setup > Sales > Companies tab, we now display a warning if you try to give the same account number to two accounts in the same company.
Can no longer modify exchange rates when using your default currency
In Helm CONNECT, the exchange rate you enter for a particular currency is intended to be the exchange rate from that currency to the default currency. For this reason, the exchange rate for the default currency to itself should always be 1.0000. Previously, if you were billing or entering a manual transaction in your default currency, you could modify the exchange rate for your default currency to something other than 1.0000. To prevent errors and improve reporting, we no longer allow you to do this. Now, if you're billing or entering a manual transaction in your default currency, the exchange rate will always be set to 1.0000 and can't be modified.
Helm CONNECT Personnel
We made the following changes to Helm CONNECT Personnel in this release.
Crew schedule data no longer transfers to all asset installations
To improve performance on your asset installations, we changed the way we transfer crew schedule data. Previously, when you crewed a person on or off an asset, we transferred the schedule data to all your asset installations and stored it on each one indefinitely. If you had a large crew and many asset installations, this data could grow until it caused performance issues.
Now, we no longer transfer schedule data to all your asset installations. Instead, we transfer the data only to the asset where the person worked. In addition, instead of storing the data indefinitely, we now delete it from the asset installation after 62 days.
As a result of these changes, you'll notice a few differences in the way things behave on your asset installations. First, your asset installations will no longer see new crew schedule conflict warnings when performing a single crew change from the Onboard > Personnel > Crew Changes or Timesheets tabs.
Note This change will apply only to crew changes that are performed completely in Version 1.19. If someone was crewed on before your asset installation upgraded to Version 1.19, you'll still see any applicable crew schedule conflict warnings when you crew them off.
Second, on the Onboard > Personnel > Crew tab, your asset installations will no longer see if someone is currently crewed on another asset. This information will still be visible if you view the Crew tab from the shore version of Helm CONNECT.
Information about the payroll rule that generated a transaction line or bank record
On the Setup > Payroll > Payroll Schemes tab, we display the number for each rule you add to a payroll scheme. In this release, we made the following changes on the Personnel > Payroll > Payroll Details tab to help you see which payroll rule generated a particular transaction line or bank record:
- On the schedule, the tooltip you see when you hover over a transaction line now includes the name of the payroll scheme, the rule number, and the section the rule is from.
- On the schedule, when you click a transaction line to display the Pay Lines window, you'll now see a new section near the bottom called Payroll Rule Details. This new section, which you can show or hide as needed, contains read-only fields that show the name of the related payroll scheme and rule number, and the section of the payroll scheme the rule is from.
- Under Banks, we added two new columns that show you the name of the related payroll scheme and rule number: Payroll Scheme and Rule.
Note Transaction lines or bank records that you generated in Version 1.18 or earlier won't display this new information unless you regenerate them.
Limit payroll groups by role
You can now configure payroll groups so they're visible only to users with specific roles. On the Setup > Payroll > Payroll Groups tab, in the edit view, we added a new section called Limit to Roles that allows you to choose which roles can see that payroll group.
Here's what will happen if you limit a payroll group to specific roles:
- On the Personnel > Payroll > Overview and Payroll Details tabs, only users with one or more of those roles will see the payroll group in the Payroll Period list. For all other users, the payroll group won't be visible in the list.
- On the Personnel > Schedule > Schedule tab, in the Edit Schedule window, only users with one or more of those roles will see the View Payroll Details link. For all other users, the link won't be visible.
- If you don't choose any roles in the Limit to Roles section, the payroll group will be visible to all users. This is the default setting.
- If you want your Admin users to see the payroll group, you must select the Admin role from the Limit to Roles section.
Limit payroll classes by payroll group
You can now configure payroll classes so they're associated with one or more payroll groups, which means they'll be visible only to users with permission to see those payroll groups. For example, if you associate the Captain - Region 1 payroll class with the Bi-weekly payroll group, then only users who are allowed to see the Bi-weekly payroll group will be able to see the Captain - Region 1 payroll class.
Note To learn more about controlling which users can see specific payroll groups, see "Limit payroll groups by role," above.
On the Setup > Payroll > Payroll Classes tab, in the edit view, we added a new field called Limit to Payroll Groups that allows you to associate a payroll class with one or more payroll groups.
Note If you don't choose any payroll groups in the Limit to Payroll Groups field, the payroll class will be associated with all payroll groups and will be visible to all users. This is the default setting.
Locked and Posted icons appear in a new location
On the Personnel > Schedule > Schedule tab, we moved the Locked and Posted icons slightly. They're now to the left of the Assets field.
Reports and custom fields
We made changes to our reports and custom fields in this release. If you use report data in systems outside of Helm CONNECT, there are some changes that might affect you. If you have any questions about reports and their data sources, please contact your account manager.
Note When we make any changes to a data source, we migrate any existing reports affected by the change automatically so that they use the updated data source.
New Division filter on the Forms report
We added a new Division filter to the Forms report. In this filter, you can select your division and any division directly above or below that. When you select a division, you'll see all forms published to that division and to any assets that belong to that division, plus any divisions below that. This new filter doesn't affect any existing reports.
Report on how long your maintenance and compliance items are open
As part of our goal to provide better visibility about how long important work items have been open, we added two new fields, Opened Date and Days Open, to the following reports:
- Inspection Checklists
- Inventory Checklists
- Maintenance Checklists
- Corrective Actions
For more details about these new columns, check out this article.
Source filter in the Corrective Actions report now displays external audit names
We addressed an issue where the Source filter in the Corrective Actions report data source listed only the names of internal audits, not external audits. Now, the Source filter lists the names of external audits as well.
New IMO column on the Competitor Revenue Comparison report
We added a new IMO column to the Competitor Revenue Comparison report.
Helm CONNECT API
We made the following changes to our API in this release. For more details, please refer to our API documentation.
We added the following endpoints:
- Ship Types
New fields for existing endpoints
We added new fields to the following endpoints:
- Create/Update Company
- Create/Update Company Account
- Create/Update Part
- Find Tasks
- Find Task By Id
- Find Ships
- Find Trips