When you uninstall Helm CONNECT from an asset, any data or files that haven't yet been transferred to shore will be lost. When you reinstall Helm CONNECT, it reloads the asset's data and files from shore, however, it can only load data and files that were transferred before Helm CONNECT was uninstalled.
In Version 1.19 of Helm CONNECT, we added the ability to back up an asset's data and files before you uninstall Helm CONNECT— including anything that hasn't yet been transferred to shore—so that you don't lose this information. When you reinstall Helm CONNECT, you can restore the data and files from the backup file and any unsynced information can then be transferred to shore.
This article will explain how to back up an asset's data and files as well as how to restore the asset's data and files from the backup file while reinstalling Helm CONNECT.
Important If you're experiencing an issue with an asset installation and are considering uninstalling and reinstalling Helm CONNECT to try and address the problem, please contact our Support team first. They may be able to help you resolve the issue another way.
How to back up an asset's data and files
When you create a backup file (AHBK) for an asset, it will include all that asset's data as well as any files, such as pictures and documents, that were uploaded to the asset. It will also include any data or files that haven't yet been transferred to shore.
To back up an asset's data and files (Windows 10)
- From the Windows Start menu, search for Add or remove programs.
- From the list of programs, click Helm CONNECT then click Modify.
- Click Create Asset Backup.
To back up an asset's data and files (Windows 8.1)
- From the Windows Start screen, search for Add or remove programs.
- From the list of programs, right-click Helm CONNECT then select Change.
- Click Create Asset Backup.
To back up an asset's data and files (Windows 7)
- From the Windows Start menu, select Control Panel.
- From the list of programs, click Helm CONNECT then select Change.
- Click Create Asset Backup.
Once the backup is complete, the system will save the file (AHBK) to a temporary folder and open the folder automatically. Although you can't change where the system saves the backup file, you can move it to a different location once the backup is complete.
How to restore an asset's data and files from a backup file
When you reinstall Helm CONNECT on an asset, if you've already backed up that asset's data and files (see "How to back up an asset's data and files", above), you can restore them from the backup file during the installation. Once the installation is complete and the data and files have been restored, any unsynced information will be transferred to shore automatically.
Note If a backup file includes any unsynced data or files, and you restore multiple times from that backup file, the system will only import one copy of the unsynced data or files.
To restore an asset's data and files from a backup file
- Download and run the latest version of the Helm CONNECT installer (Helm CONNECT.exe).
Note You can download the installer on the Setup > Fleet > Fleet Installations tab.
- When you see the option to either enter an installation key or configure a new installation, select Configure New Installation.
Important You can't restore an asset's data and files from a backup file if you're using an installation key to install Helm CONNECT; someone with permission to Setup > Fleet must configure a new installation.
- Enter the following information:
- The email and and password you use to log in to Helm CONNECT.
- The name of your Helm CONNECT tenant.
- Click Connect.
- In the Configure Installation window, do the following:
- Enter the details about the installation, including whether or not you want to use multi-user sign on.
- Select the Restore From Backup check box.
- Click Browse to display the default folder where the system saved the backup file.
If you moved the backup file to a different location, you'll have to navigate to that location.
- Select the backup file (AHBK) you want to use then click Open.
- Click Submit.
- (Optional) Once the installation is complete, click Open Helm CONNECT to open Helm CONNECT.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I automate the backups?
We don't currently have a way to automate backups so you must do them manually. However, data and files are transferred between your asset installations and shore automatically, and an asset's database will never be deleted unless you uninstall Helm CONNECT. If you're planning to uninstall Helm CONNECT, you can choose to back the asset's data and files up yourself.
What is the average size of a backup file?
That depends on the amount of data you have. A backup file includes the data in the asset's database (compressed) as well as any files that were uploaded (which are difficult to compress). While the size of the backup file can vary, the data portion will be smaller than the asset's database because it's compressed. The file portion of the backup file will depend on the types of files that were uploaded.
What happens if I use an old backup file to restore an asset's data and files?
You can use any backup file to restore an asset's data and files, however, a more recent backup file will be faster than an older one. Helm CONNECT tracks data changes sequentially. When you do a fresh installation, it loads data changes in the order they occurred until it has all the information it needs. When you restore the asset's data and files from a backup file, it doesn't need to load as much data so the installation will be faster. The more recently the backup was created, the faster the installation will be because Helm CONNECT will only need to load any data that changed since the time you took the backup.