Each installation of Helm CONNECT requires someone with permission to the Fleet Installations tab to enter the configuration details. However, if you'd prefer to configure the installation from shore, you can create an installation key ahead of time containing all the configuration details. When the key is entered during the installation process, the installer will validate it and retrieve the configuration details from shore.
The advantage of using an installation key is that anyone can then run a copy of the installer and enter the key when prompted. That person won't enter any configuration details themselves and doesn't require permission to the Fleet Installations tab.
Create an installation key
Installation keys are unique and can be used only once. You must configure a new installation key for each computer where you intend to install Helm CONNECT.
To create an installation key
- Go to Setup > Fleet > Fleet Installations.
- Click New.
- Under Node Configuration, enter the installation details:
- From the Asset list, select the asset the installation is for.
- In the Description field, enter a description of the installation. For example, "Helm Valiant - Wheelhouse."
- In the Asset Login Password and the Repeat Password fields, enter a password for the asset.
- Do one of the following:
- To configure the installation for multi-user sign on, select the Multi User Sign On checkbox.
- To configure the installation for shared sign on, leave the Multi User Sign On checkbox empty.
- From the Culture list, select the language for the installation.
NoteFor users who can log in with an email and password, language (culture) can also be set on the user's profile on the Setup > Users > Users tab.
- (Optional) To display the text you've typed into the Description field on the local installation, select the Display Description on the Installation check box.
- Under Fleet Roles, select a role for the asset.
NoteRemember, roles affect which features the logged in users on the asset will have access to.
- Click Save Changes.You'll see a new installation key at the top of the screen.
- Copy the key somewhere safe. The person installing Helm CONNECT on the asset will need it during the installation process.
Use a key to install Helm CONNECT
Before installing Helm CONNECT, make sure you have a copy of the installer and the correct installation key. The installer is universal and can be used for all your installations, but each key is unique and can only be used once. It's also important to know that you can run the installer without an internet connection, but you'll need a connection to validate the key and download the asset's data.
To install Helm CONNECT with a key
- Run the installer. If you're not already running your computer as an administrator, you may be prompted to go to administrator permissions during the installation.
- When prompted, enter the installation key and click Apply Key.
- Once the installation is complete, click Open Helm CONNECT.
- Do one of the following:
- If the installation is using shared sign on, then enter the asset password and click Login.
- If the installation is using multi-user sign on, then enter your email and password and click Login.