Inspection templates are the master copies of your inspections and surveys. Build them on the Inspection tab in Templates, under Setup, then publish copies for your crew to use. The copies will appear in your crew's To Do lists in Logs, organized by work space and when they should be completed.
This lesson will show you how to build an inspections template.
Configure the template header
When you build a new inspections template, you start at the top, with the header information. This is where you configure the settings for your template, including which assets will use it and when it should be due.
Start by giving your template a name. This is the name your crew will see in their To Do lists.
You must assign the template to one or more of your assets. These are the assets that will use copies of this template.
Decide whether the copies of this template should be treated as inspections or as surveys:
- Inspection: All items in an inspection must be completed before it can be finished. This means failed items won't become new tasks in the To Do list until the entire inspection has been finished.
- Survey: Individual items in a survey can be submitted before the rest of the survey has been finished. This means failed items will become new tasks in the To Do list as soon as they're submitted, not when the entire survey has been finished.
If you want the copies of this template on your assets to appear in the Dry Dock section of your crew’s To Do lists, select the Dry Dock check box.
Note Selecting the Dry Dock check box will override your schedule for this template.
Schedule this template, by clicking the Schedule field and entering the schedule details.
To configure this template to either include or exclude copies from your crew's To Do list during specific asset activities, click the Template Activities field to display the Template Activities dim.
NoteUsing activity-based maintenance is an add-on feature available to customers who subscribe to both Event Logs and Maintenance. For more information, please contact your Account Manager.
From the Space list, select the asset work space that will see copies of this template.
Note Each template can only be assigned to one asset work space. If you'd like to assign a similar template to another space, you can duplicate the template and assign it to another space.
The Responsible Parties feature isn't currently available for inspections templates.
Build the template body
The body of your template contains the instructions and other items you want your crew to perform. The list on the left is all the possible types of items you could add to your template. To build your template, just drag something from the list and drop it onto your template.
A few things to keep in mind when building an inspections template:
- Every template must have at least one category. A category is simply a way to group your items. Just drag one from the list on the left and drop it onto your template.
- Add the items you want by dragging them from the list and dropping them onto a category.
- You can add as many categories and items as you need. To move something, just grab it by the little handle icon and drag it up or down to a new location.
- By default, any item you add will be required. To change this setting, click the Required icon to the right of the item.
Watch the video
Watch this video to see how to build an inspections template in Helm CONNECT:
Need a little more help?
In addition to these lessons and videos, which explain basic concepts and coach you through the set up for Helm CONNECT, you'll find more set up information and step-by-step instructions in our online help.