In Helm CONNECT, your parts list is a catalog of the parts you want to keep track of or order frequently. You will set up and manage your parts list, as well as your parts units, categories, and custom fields, in Parts, under Setup.
Add part units
A unit, such as box or a case, is required for every part you add to the system. Before you start adding any parts, you must first add the units you need on the Part Units tab.
Add part categories
Although they're optional, categories are a useful way to organize your list of parts. Also, if you want to create custom fields for you parts, you must use part categories. Before you start adding any parts, you can add the categories you want on the Part Categories tab.
Add part custom fields
Custom fields are attached to parts through part categories. Before you start adding any parts, you can create the custom fields you want on the Part Categories Custom Fields tab. Assign the new fields to the relevant part categories.
After you add your units, categories, and custom fields, you can start adding parts on the Parts tab. We suggest you start with a short list, and add more items as you identify the ones you really need. This will help keep your parts list uncluttered and give you an opportunity to decide how you'd like to organize it.
Assign parts to asset typesYou can assign a part to one or more asset types to make it available only to specific assets. For example, if you assign a part to your lineboat asset type, then the part will only be available to your lineboats. If you don’t assign a part to a specific asset type, it will be assigned to all asset types by default.
Identify critical spares You can flag any item in your parts list as a critical spare by selecting the Critical Spare checkbox. If a critical spare is included in a requisition generated from an inventory checklist, that requisition will automatically be assigned a high priority.
Active versus inactive parts By default, any new parts you add are active. This means they will be available to users performing the following tasks:
- Adding parts to a requisition
- Adding parts to an inventory template
- Adding parts to a requisition template
- Adding parts to an asset’s inventory list
If you no longer want a part to be used, you can make it inactive by clearing the Active checkbox on the Parts tab. If you want to start using the part again, you can make it active by selecting the Active checkbox.
Assign parts to a part category
You can assign a part to a category to help you organize and filter your parts list, and to make any custom fields visible for that part. Manage your list of part categories and assign parts to specific categories on the Part Categories tab.
Grow your parts list
As you and your crew use Helm CONNECT, you will discover additional items you want to add to your parts list. There are two ways to add new items to your parts list:
- Add new items on the Parts tab in Parts.
- Add new items from an open requisition in Requisitions. Simply click the Add a new part icon, complete the details about the new part, then click Add to add it to both the open requisition and the parts list.
NoteYou can assign a part to a category to help you organize and filter your parts list, and to make any custom fields visible for that part. Manage your list of part categories and assign parts to specific categories on the Part Categories tab.
Build your parts list
To build your parts list, follow these steps:
- From the menu, under Setup, select Parts.
- Click the Parts tab.
- Click New Part.
- Enter the part information:
- Use the Description field to enter a name for the part.
- (Optional) Use the Part Number field to enter the part number your company uses for the part.
- (Optional) Use the Cross Reference field to enter other numbers that might be used for this part, such as a vendor's part number.
- Use the Unit list to select the type of units that will be used to count or order this part. This list is based on the units entered on the Part Units tab.
- (Optional) Use the Category list to add the part to a category. This list is based on the categories entered on the Part Categories tab.
- Use the Asset Types field to assign the part to a specific asset type or types. If you don't select an asset type, it will be assigned to all asset types.
- (Optional) Use the Additional Information field to enter any extra details you want to include about the part, such as preferred vendors or special instructions.
- (Optional) To deactivate the part, and remove it from the Part lists for requisitions and requisition templates, clear the Active check box.
- (Optional) To make the part a critical spare, select the Critical Spare check box.
- To save the part, click Save Changes.