Maintenance templates are the master copies of your maintenance routines. Build them on the Setup > Templates > Maintenance tab, then publish copies for your crew to use. The copies will appear in your crew's To Do lists in Logs, organized by work space and when they should be completed.
This lesson will show you how to build a maintenance template.
Configure the template header
When you build a new maintenance template, you start at the top, with the header information. This is where you configure the settings for your template, including which assets will use it and when it should be due.
Start by giving your template a name. This is the name your crew will see in their To Do lists.
Each maintenance template will be linked to a single asset. To create a similar template for another asset, you can duplicate the template then make any necessary changes.
- From the Component list, select the component this template will apply to. If you select a component, you will have the option to schedule this template based cumulative reading types, such as running hours or fuel used, for the selected component.
Note A maintenance template can only apply to one component.
Schedule this template by clicking the Schedule field and entering the schedule details.
To configure this template to either include or exclude copies from your crew's To Do list during specific asset activities, click the Template Activities field to display the Template Activities window.
Note Using activity-based maintenance is an add-on feature available to customers who subscribe to both Event Logs and Maintenance. For more information, please contact your Account Manager.
If you subscribe Helm CONNECT Compliance, you can use this field to link to an existing document in Helm CONNECT. This feature also lets you link to specific document versions and pages within a document. For more information, refer to our Link documents to work items support article.
From the Space list, select the asset work space that will see copies of this template.
Note Each template can only be assigned to one asset work space. If you'd like to assign a similar template to another space, you can duplicate the template and assign it to another space.
You can select existing tags or add new tags here. Tags are useful for filtering in History tabs and in reports.
The Responsible Parties feature isn't currently available for maintenance templates.
Build the template body
The body of your template contains the instructions and other items you want your crew to perform. The list on the left is all the possible types of items you could add to your template. To build your template, just drag something from the list and drop it onto your template. For more about the different types of template items, take a look at our Template categories and items article.
A few things to keep in mind when building a maintenance template:
- Every template must have at least one category. A category is simply a way to group your items. Just drag one from the list on the left and drop it onto your template.
- Add the items you want by dragging them from the list and dropping them onto a category.
- You can add as many categories and items as you need. To move something, just grab it by the little handle icon and drag it up or down to a new location.
- By default, any item you add will be required. To change this setting, click the Required icon to the right of the item.
Manage your templates
Once you have a few templates in your list, take a look at our Manage your templates article for some tips to help you organize them.