The Forms module ensures your crew and shore team always have the most up-to-date versions of the forms they need. Forms templates are the master copies of your company's forms. Build them on the Forms tab in Templates, under Setup, then publish copies for your teams to use. Depending on the options you choose, the copies will either appear in the Forms library in the Compliance module, or in the Forms library in the Onboard module. For Onboard forms, you can also display them in selected asset work spaces in Logs, organized by when they should be completed.
This lesson will show you how to build a forms template.
Configure the template header
When you build a new form template, you start at the top, with the header information. This is where you configure the settings for your template, including which divisions and assets will use it, whether it's for use on shore or on your assets, and when it should be due.
Start by giving your template a name. This is the name your crew or shore-based teams will see when they use copies of this template.
Use the Division list to control which divisions use this template. If you don't select a division, it will be assigned to all your divisions. Remember:
- You can't assign a template to any divisions you don't have access to.
- Users can't use any copies assigned to a division they don't have access to. If they're logged into an asset installation, they can't use any copies the asset doesn't have access to.
A form template can either be used on shore or by your assets, not both. The Shore only check box allows you to indicate who the template is for:
- If you select the Shore only check box, copies of this template will only be available in the Compliance module, on the Library tab in Forms, and can be completed as needed.
- If you leave the Shore only check box clear, you must link the template to one or more of your assets. If you don't select an asset, it will apply to all of them. Copies of this template will only be available in the Onboard module on those assets, on the Library tab in Forms, as well as in the To Do list of any assigned work spaces.
Require Corrective Actions
If this template includes a shore approval category, you can require users to add a corrective action before they can approve it. To do so, select the Require Corrective Action check box.
Note You won't be able to select the Require Corrective Action check box until you've added a shore approval category.
If you leave the Shore only check box empty, you must link the template to one or more of your assets. These are the assets that will use copies of this template. If you don't select an asset, it will apply to all of them.
Schedule or Event Type
If you leave the Shore only check box empty, you have three options to control when copies of this template are due:
- You can schedule this template, by clicking the Schedule field and entering the schedule details. With this option, you must also select a work space.
- You can link this template to a specific event type, by clicking the Event Type field and selecting an event type from the list. With this option, you must also select a work space.
Note Using event-based forms is an add-on feature available to customers who subscribe to both Event Logs and Compliance. For more information, please contact your Account Manager.
- You can publish copies of this template directly to the Forms library on the selected assets, by leaving both the Schedule field and the Event Type fields empty. With this option, you won't be able to select a work space.
If you scheduled this template or linked it to an event type, you must select at least one asset work space that will see copies of this template, by clicking the Spaces field and selecting one or more spaces from the list.
If you like, you can add tags to this template by clicking the Tags field and either selecting an existing one or adding a new one. Tags are useful for reporting.
You can assign one or more active employees to be responsible for a form by selecting names from the Responsible Parties list. Any responsible parties who can log in to Helm CONNECT will receive email notifications when that form has been finished on an asset and submitted for shore approval.
Important Note If you want a responsible party to receive email notifications, you must make sure they are set to Can Log In in Users.
Build the template body
The body of your template contains the instructions and other items you want your crew to perform. The list on the left is all the possible types of items you could add to your template. To build your template, just drag something from the list and drop it onto your template.
A few things to keep in mind when building a form template:
- Every template must have at least one category. A category is simply a way to group your items. Just drag one from the list on the left and drop it onto your template.
- Add the items you want by dragging them from the list and dropping them onto a category.
- You can add as many categories and items as you need. To move something, just grab it by the little handle icon and drag it up or down to a new location.
- By default, none of the items you add will be required, but you can easily change that setting on any item by selecting the Required icon to the right of each item.
Watch the video
Watch this video to see how to build a form template in Helm CONNECT: