If you have the E-Signatures feature turned on in your tenant, you can configure specific forms to require digital signatures from your crew. This provides a secure alternative to paper forms for collecting and reporting on crew signatures.
Note In Version 1.21 of Helm CONNECT, we launched the E-Signatures feature as a pre-release for interested customers. Please reach out to your account manager if you'd like some more information or would like to see a demo of this feature.
Configure e-signatures on a forms template
If the E-Signatures feature is turned on in your tenant, you can make signatures required on specific categories on your forms templates. When the form is filled out by your crew, each person whose name appears in the Crew Selection field for that category must sign or decline the category before the form can be finished.
To configure e-signatures on a forms template
- On the Setup > Templates > Forms tab, open an existing template or create a new one.
- Drag a Category or Approval item onto the template.
- Drag a Crew Selection item onto the Category or Approval item.
- Enter a description for the Crew Selection item, then click the Signatures Required button to require signatures for that item.
Note Only one Crew Selection item per category can require signatures. If you need to collect additional signatures on this form, you can configure Crew Selection items in other categories to require signatures.
- Make any other changes to the template you need, then click Publish.
Who can sign a form?
In order to sign forms, crew members must be active employees and be able to log in to Helm CONNECT.
Crew members must be able to log in to Helm CONNECT because they will use their passwords to sign forms:
- Shore: Users must have Can Log In, and either Can Log In To Shore or Can Log In To Asset enabled on their user profiles.
- Asset installations: Users must have Can Log In and Can Log In To Asset enabled on their user profiles.
Note If you want crew members to be able to sign forms but don't want them to have any other access to Helm CONNECT, we recommend that you allow them to log in to Helm CONNECT but don't assign them any roles. This will provide them with the necessary passwords but prevent them from accessing any features.
How to sign a form
Although the basic steps for signing a form in Helm CONNECT are straightforward, the exact workflow will depend on your company's policies and procedures.
To sign a form
- In the form, for each category with a Crew Selection field that requires signatures, select the name of each person who must sign it.
Note Crew Selection fields that require signatures will display only the names of people with Can Log In enabled on their user profile.
- Click Signatures to display the Signatures window.
Note You won't be able to click the Signatures button until all the required items in the category have been completed.
- In the Signatures window, each person must either click Sign and enter their Helm CONNECT password or click Decline and enter why they can't sign the form.
Note Users who either don't have a password or have only a temporary password must set up their passwords before they can sign a form. If necessary, users in this situation can decline the form with a note explaining that they need to set up their password before signing.
- To close the Signatures window, click Done.
Unlock a form category after it was signed
Once at least one person has either signed or declined a category on a form, that category becomes locked, and the fields can no longer be modified. However, if your role includes the "Unlock After Signing" permission, you can click the Unlock button (visible only to users with the "Unlock After Signing" permission) to the left of the Signatures button to clear out the signatures and modify the fields.
On the History tab, the Signatures section in the detail views for your finished forms will display who signed and who declined the form, as well as any related notes.
No specific permission is required to sign a form. However, anyone who needs the ability to unlock specific form categories after signing must have the "Unlock After Signing" permission in their role.
As part of the E-Signatures feature, we added the following new fields to the Form Templates and Forms data sources:
- Form Templates: Item Signature Required
- Forms: Signature Date, Signature Name, Signature Status, Signature Note