Roles control which features you can use in Helm CONNECT, including the items you see on the screen, such as menus, menu items, and tabs, as well as actions you can perform, including adding maintenance tasks, viewing change logs, and correcting history.
Important Note All users must have at least one role. If someone without a role tries to log in to Helm CONNECT, he or she will see an error message.
Add a role
To add a role, follow these steps:
- From the Setup menu, select Users.
- Click the Roles tab.
- Click New Role.
- In the Name field, enter the name of the role.
- From the Role Restrictions list, select one of the following:
- Asset: displays all the available asset features.
- Shore: displays all the available shore features.
Note Each role you add can provide access to either shore features or asset features, but not both. Once you save the role restrictions, you can't change them. If a user, other than an administrator, needs access to both shore and asset features, you can assign him or her two roles.
- From the displayed list of features, select the ones you want everyone with that role to have access to.
- When you're finished, click Save Changes.
More about permissions
Now that you know how to add a role, let's take a closer look at some of the permissions you can give your users.
Permission for menus, menu items, and tabs
Most check boxes in the Features list to control items you see on the screen, such as menus, menu items, and tabs users.
Note Remember that permissions are nested. If a role has permission to the top level of a group of features, it has access to everything in that group.
Permission to read or edit some set up features
For each tab in Users and Locations on the Setup menu, you can control whether users have full permission (Edit) to use the tab, or only read-only permission (Read) to look at the tab. You'll find these permissions in the Setup group.
Permission for maintenance tasks
You can control whether or not users can perform specific actions associated with maintenance tasks. You'll find these permissions in the Settings group, under Maintenance.
Here's what each permission does:
- Add New Task This gives users permission to add a new task. To use this feature, a user also needs permission to use either Logs on the Onboard menu or Overview on the Maintenance menu.
- Assign Maintenance Tasks to specific individuals or vendors on Shore This gives users permission to select a name from the Assignee or Vendor lists when assigning a task to shore.
- Assign Maintenance Tasks to specific individuals or vendors in Dry Dock This gives users permission to select a name from the Assignee or Vendor lists when assigning a task to dry dock.
- Assign Maintenance Tasks to specific individuals or vendors Onboard This gives users permission to select a name from the Assignee or Vendor lists when assigning a task to an asset.
Permission to view change logs
You can control whether or not users can view change logs throughout the system. You'll find this permission in the Setup group.
Permission to correct history
You can control whether or not users can correct history. You'll find this permission in the Role Settings group.
The Admin role
The default Admin role is intended for administrators. It gives users full permission to all the Helm CONNECT features your company subscribes to, including both shore and asset features. You must assign the Admin role to at least one user in your company.
Note Helm CONNECT requires the Admin role and at least one administrator. You can't delete the Admin role or your last remaining administrator.
Watch the video
Watch this video to see how to set up roles in Helm CONNECT: