Documents – Upload New Documents
The Document Control tab in Compliance > Documents allows you to upload and manage the document library for your company.
To upload a new document
- From the Compliance menu, select Documents.
- Click the Document Control tab.
- Click New Document.
- Enter the details:
- Near the top of the tab, enter a name for the new document. This is the name your crew and other teams will see in their libraries.
- From the Division list, select the division that needs access to the document.
- From the Asset list, select the asset or assets that need access to the document.
Note The Asset list is filtered by the division you selected. If you select All Assets, the document will be available to all the assets in the selected division, and to all the assets in the divisions below the selected division.
- In the Version field, enter a version number for the document.
- From the Published Date list, select the date you want the document to be available. If you select today's date, or a date in the past, the document will be available once you click Publish. If you select a date in the future, the document will be available on that date.
- From the Created By list, select your name.
- (Optional) In the Document Categories field, add an existing category or create a new one. Document categories are similar to tags, and are useful for filtering and reporting.
- (Optional) From the Responsible Parties list, select the users who should receive email notifications when each installation receives the document or updates to the document. There are no notifications when someone acknowledges a document.
Note To receive most email notifications from Helm CONNECT, you must be an active employee, have a valid email address in the system, and be able to log in. For crew change notifications, you must be an active employee and, depending on your notification settings, you may also need a valid email address and/or cell phone number. For any notifications that contain a link to more information, you must also be able to log in to Helm CONNECT. For more about crew change notifications, check out this article.
- (Optional) From the Acknowledgment check box, select By individual or By asset:
- When you select By individual, crew members who can log in with their own email and password will be able to view and acknowledge documents on the Onboard > Documents > Library tab. A visual cue indicates that a document has arrived that requires their acknowledgment. Only assets with a local installation configured with multi-user sign on or assets that access the system on shore through an internet connection allows users to acknowledge documents as individuals.
- When you select By asset, crew members will be able to see and acknowledge documents on the Onboard > Documents > Library tab. A visual cue indicates that a document has arrived that requires their acknowledgment. Assets with local installations configured with shared sign on can only acknowledge documents at the asset level.
- To upload a PDF document, do one of the following:
- Near the top of the tab, click the Upload PDF field.
- In the preview area, click the Upload PDF button. If you're uploading a new version of an existing document, this button won't be available.
- (Optional) To add a note, click <![CDATA[ ]]> Notes.
- (Optional) To attach a file, click Attachments.
- Click Publish to publish the new document.