Asset types do a lot of work throughout Helm CONNECT and are found within most product lines. You will encounter asset types both when you are first setting up your system and while you perform your daily activities.
Within the Asset Tracking module, asset types control how asset certification templates are applied to groups of assets.
Within Helm CONNECT Maintenance, especially in the Inventory and Requisitions modules, asset types:
- Filter the list of parts available to be assigned to an asset
- Control which parts will show up as options for requisition line items
- Control which parts show up as options for requisition templates
- Control which parts show up as options for the part usage item types in maintenance templates
Within Helm CONNECT Personnel, asset types:
- Configure which default fields and custom fields are visible and/or required in time sheets
- Control approval polices on shore for crew changes and time sheet entries
Within Reporting, asset types appears as a filter in a number of key reports.
Create a new asset type
When you first set up Helm CONNECT, you'll add most of your asset types on the Setup > Operations > Asset Types tab. Later, you can quickly add a new asset type to a new or existing asset on the Management > Assets > Assets > Details sub tab.
To create a new asset type in Setup
- Go to the Setup > Operations > Asset Types tab.
- Click New Asset Type.
- In the Name field, type the full name of the new asset type.
- (Optional) In the Short Name field, type an abbreviated name or acronym for the new asset type.
The Active check box is selected by default.
- Click the Save Changes button.
- Click the return icon to return to the Asset Types tab list view. The new asset type now appears in the list.
To create a new asset type in Management > Assets
- Go to the Management > Assets > Assets tab.
- Click the required asset card.
- On the Details sub tab, click Edit.
- In the Asset Types field, type the asset type name. You will see a red New tag beside the name as you type.
- Press Enter.
- Click Save. The new asset type is displayed in the Asset Types field. If you go to the Setup > Operations > Asset Types tab, you will see the new asset type in the list there as well.
Permission settings for asset types
For a user to access the Asset Types tab, the user's role (Setup > Users > Roles) must include the following permission settings: